Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Shares 5 Tips for Managing Workplace Stress
Workplace stress is akin to seasoning in a dish. It’s a common and necessary part of our daily lives, just as a dash of salt can enhance the flavour of a meal. It can propel us to meet deadlines, overcome challenges, and remain vigilant. However, just as an excess of salt can spoil a meal, an overload of workplace stress can lead to feelings of despair and frustration. When stress becomes overwhelming, it can cause significant problems at work and home.
Work-related stress can have a profound impact on mental health, leading to depression, anxiety, burnout, and in severe cases, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It can also hinder memory, decision-making, and cognitive function, which invariably leads to reduced productivity. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Founder of Art Of Living and Indian Spiritual Guru, has proposed some effective strategies to alleviate workplace stress; these tips can enhance productivity and mitigate symptoms of depression and anxiety disorders.
1. Refresh and Recharge: The human body functions on a cycle of activity and rest. As per Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s teachings, it’s vital to rejuvenate your body and mind periodically to maintain good health. Both sleep and meditation serve as effective tools for this purpose. Sacrificing sleep for work is not a healthy practice. Sleep allows for cell regeneration and bodily relaxation, making it crucial for maintaining productivity and creativity at work. Meditation purifies and reinvigorates the mind, making it an ideal solution for managing work pressure. It promotes clarity and rids the mind of unnecessary thoughts. A mere 20 minutes of daily meditation can make a significant difference.
2. Mindful Eating: Sri Sri Ravi Shankar emphasises the adage, “You are what you eat”. Hence, it’s essential to be conscious of what you consume. Eating small meals frequently helps maintain a high metabolism and boosts energy levels. You could opt for five to six small meals or three larger ones each day. Keep healthy snacks handy for those mid-meal cravings. This way, you’re less likely to resort to junk food. Avoid skipping meals as it can lead to increased stress and poor food choices. Working on an empty stomach can lead to irritability and stress.
3. Regular Breaks: Sri Sri Ravi Shankar highly recommends taking short breaks, ideally every two hours. This could be a short walk to improve leg circulation or a break from staring at the computer screen every 45 minutes. Simple eye yoga exercises can be beneficial.
4. Organise and Prioritise Work: Often, multiple issues at work demand immediate attention simultaneously, leading to stress and exhaustion. According to Sri Sri, the key to managing work stress lies in effective planning and prioritisation.
5. Maintain Work-Life Balance: If you find yourself available for work round the clock, it’s time to reassess your career goals and life objectives, as per Sri Sri Ravishankar. The advent of the internet has blurred the lines between work and personal life. It’s essential to set boundaries and keep work out of your personal space as much as possible. The tranquility and comfort that home provides are crucial for mental and physical well-being, leading to increased efficiency at work.
Incorporating these tips into your daily routine can significantly reduce workplace stress. Furthermore, adopting ergonomic solutions such as an electric height adjustable standing desk or the best sit stand desk can also contribute to a healthier and more productive work environment. The health benefits of an electric stand up desk are numerous, including improved posture, increased energy levels, and reduced risk of chronic diseases. So, as you consider how to choose the best standing desk for your workspace, remember that your mental health is just as important as your physical health in creating a balanced and stress-free work environment.